The winter transfer window does not open until January 1, but clubs across Europe are busy putting tentative plans in place.
Our friends at Football Whispers have scoured the European newspapers and websites to bring you the latest transfer gossip and news from the continent.
Atletico Madrid may be willing to sell Juventus and Manchester United target Jose Maria Gimenez. The Uruguay international recently signed a new contract with Atleti but remains of interest to both clubs, who may be prepared to pay the 22-year-old’s £58m release clause. (Calciomercato)
Juventus have not given up hope of signing Sevilla midfielder Steven N’Zonzi. Bianconeri boss Massimiliano Allegri is keen to bolster his midfield and believes the former Stoke City man is the ideal fit. The Frenchman has been in fine form for Sevilla this season and the Spanish club are likely to demand around £40m for his signature. (Calciomercato)
Paris Saint-Germain have moved ahead in the race to sign Manchester City transfer target Alexis Sanchez. The Chilean is out of contract at Arsenal in the summer and free to negotiate with clubs in January – and the Ligue 1 side are readying a pre-contract offer. The Parisians are also willing to meet Sanchez’s £350,000-a-week wage demands. (Calciomercato)
Zenit St Petersburg boss Roberto Mancini says managing Italy would be “a great honour and the ultimate dream”. The Azzurri are looking for a successor to Gian Piero Ventura who was sacked after failing to qualify for the World Cup. Carlo Ancelotti is believed to be the favourite for the position, but former Manchester City coach Mancini has tossed his hat back into the ring. (Rai Sport)
Inter Milan striker Mauro Icardi says he wouldn’t reply if he ever received a phone call from Real Madrid. The Argentine striker, who has 15 goals for the Nerazzurri this season, has been strongly linked with a move to the Bernabeu but refused to be drawn on speculation after guiding Inter to a 3-1 victory over Cagliari on Saturday. “We are in November and it is still early to talk about transfers. If I’d ever receive a call from Madrid I wouldn’t reply, there are other people in charge of it.” (Sky Sport Italia)
Barcelona midfielder Andres Iniesta insists Spanish football needs VAR technology as soon as possible after controversy on Sunday night. During the game between second-placed Valencia and leaders Barca, the officials failed to award Lionel Messi a goal after Neto fumbled the Argentine’s shot into his own net. The ball clearly crossed the line, but no goal was given, and the match ended 1-1. “It was clearly a goal, and everybody could tell, even from the goalkeeper’s body language,” Iniesta said. “Technology would be the best solution in those situations where there is no doubt, football needs that. (Marca)
Real Madrid are planning to sign a striker and a goalkeeper during the January transfer window. Zinedine Zidane refused to rule out January arrivals after his side’s 3-2 victory over Malaga on Saturday, fuelling speculation that Real Madrid are set to spend big on another goalscorer. Inter Milan’s Icardi and PSG star Neymar have both been touted as potential Real Madrid transfer targets recently. (Mundo Deportivo)
Paris Saint Germain striker Kylian Mbappe endured a frustrating evening as he faced former side Monaco for the first time. The young Frenchman, who is on loan at PSG before completing a £166m permanent move next summer, wasted several opportunities and deflected in Monaco’s late consolation during Sunday’s 2-1 win in an evening to forget for the 18-year-old. Mbappe was whistled throughout but his blushes were spared by Edinson Cavani and Neymar, who both scored to move PSG nine points clear at the top of Ligue 1. (L’Equipe)
PSG have made contact with Nice over midfielder Jean Michael Seri. The Ivory Coast international, 26, had been a Barcelona transfer target and looked set to join the Catalans in the summer only for the move to fall through when Nice refused to sell. However, the club are believed to have softened their stance, with PSG among the interested parties. (Le Parisien)
Bayern Munich hope to convince coach Jupp Heynckes to remain in charge until the end of next season when they will look to appoint Joachim Low. The Germany boss has ruled out taking the Bayern job after next summer’s World Cup but the Bundesliga giants believe they can lure him a year later. Heynckes agreed to assume first-team duties until the end of the current season after Ancelotti’s dismissal in September. (Bild)
Robert Lewandowski’s wife says the Bayern striker wants to end his career at LA Galaxy. The Poland striker, who is a long-time Real Madrid transfer target, is under contract at the Allianz Arena until 2021. But his wife, Anna, says he is keen on a future move to MLS. “I think that we will spend some time in the United States,” she said. “We dream of Los Angeles, and we would love to develop our brand there. “We hope that Robert will end his professional career at a Los Angeles-based club. We can already say that this would be our dream.” (Business Insider)
Dries Mertens has revealed that he turned down Barcelona in the summer. The Napoli forward was a target for the La Liga side following Neymar’s departure to PSG, but the Belgium international felt as though he wouldn’t be guaranteed starting football at the Camp Nou. “Barcelona wanted to sign me last summer, they wanted me to replace the MSN but after the last season I didn’t want to return to bench and I rejected their offer. Barcelona have paid €100million (£89million) to sign players who are not as strong as me. Sometimes I think about what would have happened if I had joined them. If you look at who has been playing on the left in the last few months, I think I could have easily played there.” (Het Laatste Nieuws)